Home
.....................................

75th Anniversary Messages
.....................................

Aims & Objectives
.....................................

Founder
.....................................

Our Profile

.....................................

Journey Through Time
.....................................

We Honour
.....................................

Tribute to Essop Timol
.....................................

Roll of Honour
.....................................

Today at Darul Yatama
.....................................

Life Trustees
.....................................

Board of Management
.....................................

Office Bearer - Executive
.....................................

Baitul Aman

- House Committee

- Programmes

- Media Centre

- Abandoned Babies Cottage
.....................................

Homes for Our Senior Fathers and Mothers

- Baitul Hifazat

- Baitul Firdous
.....................................

Welfare Service
.....................................

Special Projects
.....................................

Funding
.....................................

Qurbani
.....................................

Muslim Gorba Trust
.....................................

Future Projects
.....................................

Financials
.....................................

Donations / Assistance
.....................................

Becoming a Member
.....................................

Subscribe to our newsletter
.....................................

Brochure Archives
.....................................

Queries / Feedback
.....................................


Disclaimer
.....................................

Contact Us

 


It all began in 1934...

The Organisation was founded by the Late Moulana Ahmed Mukhtar Siddiqui and other individuals that included the Late A.I. Kajee, C.M. Angalia, Tayob Sacoor, M.S. Kharwa, Sayed Fakroodeen, Ismail Osman, E.M. Paruk, and A.K.E. Bux.

These young Muslims felt a need for a Children’s Home where shelter and care could be provided to Muslim Orphans, the homeless and destitute.

Mr. E.M. Paruk offered the free use of a wood and iron cottage in Inanda Road, Sea Cow Lake, and from this initial move was brought into reality.

The first Muslim Orphanage, and to give it its Arabic equivalent and Darul Yatama Wal Masakeen made its bow.



1937

In 1937, a property in Westville was offered for sale and since it consisted of a 6-room cottage on 9.5 acres of land the property was purchased for 1600 pounds. The seller Mr. Raw donated 750 pounds to the Institution. The city council exempted the Institution from rates and taxes.

1942
In 1942 there were 32 residents in the Home, an increase which indicated the remarkable growth of the Institution.

The provision of Madressa facilities was another matter undertaken by Darul Yatama officials and premises and teachers were made available in such areas as Merebank and elsewhere, and it has now become a policy matter to Provide religious as well as secular education.

Soon it became necessary for the Institution to set up offices in the central area, at first in Valbro Chambers in Victoria Street, Saville Street and later to premises at 379 Pine Street.
1961

With all its growth in catering to the needs of the underprivileged, the main objective of the Institution remained that of finding another site for the building and development of a suitable Children’s Home and thus came the opportunity in 1961 of a possible move to La Mercy. During this year 28 acres of residential land was purchased in La Mercy by Mr. E.A. Timol, which he offered 23 acres of land to the orphanage at cost and his offer was accepted.
1964

The land was made Available for the La Mercy Township.
1964

Posselt and Coull had so kindly donated in 1964 to Darul Yatama for the development of this home. With all this growth in catering to the needs of the underprivileged, the main objective of the institution remained that of finding another site for the building and development of a suitable children’s home.
1971

On 12th June 1971, the Late Mr. A.M. Moolla Chairman of the board of trustees laid the foundation stone for Baitul Aman, La Mercy, KZN.
1997

Baitul Hifazat was purchased to care for our Senior Mothers.
1998

In 1998 the organisation purchased the property 301 Randles Road,
Sydenham, Durban for our Senior Fathers and moved the head office from 379 Pine Street Durban to these premises.
Official Opening in 1974 by The Chiaman of The Board of Trustees, MR E.M. Randeree.
A view of the entire complex.
A view of the completed principals residence.
1970

Officials in serios deliberation planning the home.
1971

Officials with guest at stone laying – Baitul Aman
1974/5

General Commitee
1974/5

Relief Commitee
1980

Lifetime Trustees
1982

Exco Commitee
Over the years Baitul Aman has overcome trials and tribulations. The Orphanage has also achieved great success over the time from the upliftment of the Centre to the great achievement of the children who have become successful adults in the world from Teachers to Businessman and many of them has also started their own Families.
© Copyright Darul Yatama Wal Maskeen. All Rights Reserved!